Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA Abu Dhabi) presents Artscape of World Cultures, this Wednesday at Manarat Al Saadiyat in conjunction with Treasures of the World’s Cultures exhibition which runs until 17 July and has received almost 13,000 visitors in its first month.
The evening takes form as an international evening bazaar including dance, music, poetry, art, food, map-making activities and hands-on workshops in collaboration with cultural organisations from all over the UAE.
His Excellency Sheikh Sultan bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan, Chairman of TCA Abu Dhabi, said: “Artscape of World Cultures is a celebration of Treasures of the World’s Cultures which has already been hugely popular. In addition to the increasing number of international visitors we receive at Manarat Al Saadiyat, the Artscape series continues to nurture national partnerships and bring communities together.”
The evening line-up includes:
- French DJs, Mo Laudi and Etienne Tron, mixing indigenous music from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas - presented in collaboration with Institut Français and Alliance française
- A performance by celebrated UK poet, writer, performer and spoken-word artist Kayo Chingonyi in partnership with The British Council
- A Bharatanatyam performance including traditional Kathak and Odissi dances from distinct Indian regions in collaboration with The Cultural Wing of the Embassy of India
- A traditional Gamelan (ancient music from Indonesia) concert in collaboration with the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
- An indoor cooking station exploring the “slow-food” phenomenon where visitors can make an organic, locally-sourced dish with Pascal Sfara, renowned head chef, in collaboration with the Cultural Office of the Italian Embassy to the UAE
- Ceramic designer and potter Homa Farley of Abu Dhabi Pottery demonstrating the art of throwing a pot on a potter’s wheel - a family activity inspired by the pottery exhibited in Treasures of the World’s Cultures
- German printmaking, with artist Johannes Häfner, conducting a printmaking performance with giveaways in collaboration with the Goethe-Institut
- BAFTA 2012 Short Film Nominees screenings featuring live-action shorts and animations in collaboration with The British Council
- Sharjah Art Foundation’s Mapping Abu Dhabi, a cartography project that encourages visitors and residents to map Abu Dhabi based on their favourite places in the city.
Part of the Artscape series, Artscape of World Cultures is one of the many arts events on Saadiyat Island’s cultural calendar to involve and engage communities from all over the UAE.
Entry is complimentary. For more information visit www.saadiyatculturaldistrict.ae or call 02 657 5800.